DailyRhema

Daily Rhema is a teaching ministry for Christians, centered on the finished work of Christ. It posts inspiring teachings and testimonies on weekdays. These short and systematic messages are suitable for personal devotion or Bible Study.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

5.28 Testimony – In Christ, I was delivered from a medical condition in the family history

Christianity is about being redeemed from the fallen line of Adam and into the line of Christ. It is about being in Christ. The Epistles of Paul tells us over and over again that we are now in Christ. What difference does it make for us? To some of it, it is just in theory, or it sounds cool to say as a Christian. But make no mistake; it is a reality for those who walk in it by faith.

How often does one get confronted with the question, “Is there a medical history in your family?” when one goes to a doctor, or sign up for an insurance policy. Frequently, it puts a great amount of fear in our hearts. We start thinking about all the members who had suffered from a condition and we wonder if we would be next. That thought results in stress and fear. We start taking precautions and acting as if we expect it to happen.

Over the recent Chinese New Year, my family members gathered and a close relative who is a medical doctor started on the topic of medical conditions within the family. She said that my dad suffered from ingrown toe nail – a painful condition that bothered him for years. My eldest brother suffered from it. My second brother suffered from it, my third brother suffered from it. Then she looked at me and asked, “Did you have it too?” I said, “No, I didn’t” My relative was puzzled. But she knew that I was a Christian. I had received Christ at the age of 9 and I was never plagued by that condition. I was in Christ.

Then the topic drifted to a condition of the eye. My dad had a certain condition, and so my relative said that all of us should go for a checkup because it could happen to us. It did produce some fear in the hearts of my brothers because after we had a similar conversation year ago, they went for their check ups immediately.

I have no problems with going for a check up. But the real issue is what we believe in our heart. If we believe that we are in the line of Adam, we will respond with fear. I declared to God under my breath that, “I am in Christ, every curse has been cut off on the cross, I am a new creation in Christ and my life proceeds from Him. No evil shall befall me.” The fact that I did not have the ingrown toe nail is a testimony of that reality. I have made a conscious choice to trust in Him and to walk in faith.

Being in Christ made a difference for me. This is just one simple example. Even if we are already battling with symptoms of those conditions, it is never too late to start believing who we are in Christ and to engage in the battle of faith. Being in Christ can make a difference in every aspect of our lives. The promises in Christ are abundant.